Benefits of Reel Captions for Instagram
Instagram reels have gained immense popularity ever since their launch in 2020. The reel feature has taken the world by storm and we can expect it to grow even further as Instagram as a platform keeps on evolving.
Before coming to the importance of the Instagram reels captions, here are some quick stats for you regarding Instagram reels and why you should think about the sheer power of Instagram reels.
Why Should You Add Captions to Your Instagram Reels?
Instagram Reels are a popular way to share short, creative videos with your followers.
But did you know that adding captions to your Reels can make them more accessible and engaging for everyone?
In 2019 Verizon Media and Publicis Media conducted a study on the effects that captions had on video viewing. The main findings from this study was that 69% of the people said that they watch videos with the sound off in public places and 25% do the same in private places.What really stood out was that 80% of consumers said that they would watch a video to completion if captions were available to them.
What are Captions and What Types of Captions Exist?
Captions are text that appears on a video or audio recording to provide a transcription of the spoken language. They can also be used to describe other sounds in the recording, such as music, sound effects, and ambient noise. Captions are an important accessibility feature for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, and they can also be helpful for people who are watching videos in a noisy environment or who are learning a new language.
There are two main types of captions: closed captions and open captions.
Closed captions are text transcriptions of audio and video content that can be toggled on or off by the viewer. Closed captions are the most common type of captioning. They are used on television, streaming services, and other video platforms. Closed captions are typically generated automatically by a computer program, but they can also be created manually. They are ideal for people who are deaf, hard of hearing, or anyone who cannot listen with sound on, as they can be turned on or off by the viewer. Closed captions are also required by law for certain types of content, such as television broadcasts and movies.
Unlike closed captions, Open captions are burned into the video track, so they're permanently on screen and cannot be turned off. This makes them less flexible than closed captions, but they can be useful for people who are learning a new language or who want to follow along with the dialogue in a video even if they're not deaf or hard of hearing.
Here are a few reasons why you should add closed captions to your Instagram Reels:
- Accessibility: Closed captions make your Reels accessible to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. This is important for creating an inclusive and welcoming space for all of your followers.
- Engagement: Closed captions can help you increase engagement with your Reels. Studies have shown that videos with captions are more likely to be watched and shared. Closed captions can help people who are listening to your reel in a noisy environment or who want to be able to read along while they listen. This can lead to increased engagement and retention.
- Searchability: When you add captions to your Reels, they become more searchable on Instagram. This means that people who are searching for videos about your topic will be more likely to find your Reels.
- SEO: Closed captions can also help improve your Instagram Reels' search engine optimization (SEO). This means that your Reels are more likely to show up in search results on Google and other search engines.
How to Add Captions to an Instagram Reel
The are two ways to add captions to an Instagram reel:
- You can use the Instagram app, but only if you are in a region that supports captions. The Instagram captions feature is only available in English and English-speaking countries.
- You may have to use a third-party app.
If you are in a region that supports Instagram captions feature, to add captions to your reel, press the smiley button sticker at the top and then click Captions. Wait for it to create your captions and when it's finished, if any words are incorrect, you can edit them.To do this, select the captions, delete the word and then type out the correct word or spelling and press Done.
You can customize the captions by changing the color, by clicking the Colour wheel button at the top and selecting one of the colors.
If you then press the A button next to the color wheel, you can add an effect and this will help the captions stand out. You can change the font and animation style by scrolling along at the bottom.
To finish adding captions to an Instagram reel within the app, you can reposition them anywhere on the screen by clicking and dragging them around.
You can rotate the captions by rotating your fingers and you can zoom in and out with them using your fingers as well.
When you're happy with the finished look of the captions, press Next. Add a thumbnail for the reel, and then you can share it.
If you don’t have access to the Captions feature, our solution offers you an alternative method. You can generate and edit captions for better accessibility.
Our platform is incredibly easy to use:
- Drag and drop your video.
- Choose the language you want for transcribing.
- Choose speaker identification if your video has multiple speakers.(Optional)
- Check your transcript.
- Edit your transcript inside the platform.
- Fine-tune timestamps for greater accuracy.
Once you are happy with your generated captions, you can download and add them to your reel using free third-party apps like CapCut or Veed. These apps make it easy to add captions to videos, and they offer a variety of features to help you customize the captions. Be sure to proofread the captions carefully before posting your reel to ensure that they are accurate and easy to read.
Adding closed captions to your Instagram Reels is a simple way to make your videos more accessible, discoverable, and engaging. So what are you waiting for? Start adding captions today!